Does that look fertile to you?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Snozzle, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    After 2 attempts of trying to hatch Bellas eggs with no results and no development whatsoever, I am beginning to wonder if either her or my roo are infertile. They are both pretty young, but she has been laying for a month now, they are evenly shaped and colored, with good shells and I have seen the roo do his rooly duties. I have looked up how to tell if they are fertile or not and I could not see a germinal spot at all on the yolk, only the stringy thing and a little blood. I figured I would ask first before getting another bantam hen to test out if it is the hen or the roo.
    I know the pic isn't the best, but I couldn't find my camera and used my cell camera. If it's too blurry I'll try to get a better one tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

2. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    from what im seeing no it doesnt srry :(

3. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Well poo. Any vets that do fertility treatment for birds? lol
    With dogs and cats I would give red raspberry leafs as a supplement to increase fertility, can I give that to chickens in their food?
    I love these two, they have such unique personalities, I watch them more then any other chickens, my vet even fell in love with them, I really want some babies from them.

4. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    not sure but thats a good question now thats something i need to look up lol

5. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Found a good link on it http://www.thepracticalherbalist.com/component/content/article/40/236.html
    So the answer is yes, you can give them fresh of the plant and birds actually like to eat them. Hmm I don't have red ones, I have tons of wild growing blackberries though, I wonder if the same chemicals are in those, if not I guess I will put that on my list of plants to order this spring.

6. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Woohoo tractor supply had 2 heritage red raspberries on sale for $4.99 so I grabbed a set. I'll plant them near the coops when it stops raining.

7. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    awesome got real lucky there lol good luck :D :D :D

8. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    ifyou roo is old yu mite have to get a yonger

9. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    No they are both very young, if anything he may be too young, he just started getting little bumps for spurs this past month

10. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    yea he is to young buy an older roo or if yur friends have one you can borrow for a few weeks take out the younger roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by