Does the broody give the chick food and water?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pinenot, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    My chicken has a baby. Now how does it eat and drink? Does she do it or will it get up and do it itself?

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    The little guy is perfectly capable of eating and drinking for him or her self, so long as the food and water is easily accessible. I don't think chickens feed their young.

3. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Chickens do NOT feed their babies. It's up to you to provide a dish of water and some food for them - or, let the hen show them around the yard where food and water are available.

Before a chick hatches, by the way, it takes the remains of the yolk into its body. The first day or two a chick is living off the yolk, and may not eat or drink much.

-Frank

ps: If the chick does have access to the chicken yard, then make sure the water dishes aren't so deep it might drown. Doesn't happen often, but is certainly a possibility.

4. Pinenot

Sep 11, 2007
    I thought they just ate on their own and then started to dought so I had to ask. I just want to make sure they have what they need. I have them in a big box right now. I am afraid our other animals will trample them.

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Chickens do not feed their chicks like a dog or cat but they will pick things up and call the chicks over and feed it to then. I have my first hatch from my brahma bantam and I can spend hours watching momma take care of her chicks. She even adopted an early hatch from another momma. She takes special care of the new one making her 3 wait for the little one to warm up before going out to find some grub. Sooooo cute! [​IMG]
    Gayle

6. Pinenot

Sep 11, 2007
    Should I take them outside? IS it best for them to be outside then in a big box? I have been so afraid for the eggs on the ground and now the chicks.

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    It depends on the situation. How many chickens would they be out with? Do they get along? I keep my broodies in a 10X12 pen and if the hens get along they stay together. I won't let them out with the larger flock until the chicks are about 6 weeks old. That way mom will still be watching out for them while they get use to the flock. Depends on the breed of chickens you have also. I have cochins and brahmas which are very good moms and will adopt other hen's chicks. Some chickens will kill baby chicks if they can. I can just see my old hens fighting over who get to take care of the chicks. [​IMG]
    Gayle

8. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    When we get "surprise" babies from our banties, we gather them up and bring them (and mama) in for a few days. We have a garden tub in one of our bathrooms - it seems to make a good "box" for them. If the weather is nice we'll put them out in a pen for the day.

After a few days to a week, we put them back out with the flock. We don't really have any mean chickens though, and mama watches out that they keep out of trouble.

If the weather's nice out and you don't have many agressive chickens in your flock, then they'll do just fine out with their mom from day one.

If they don't have a mama though, it may be best to keep them seperated for a few weeks. When you get ready to introduce them, keep them in a seperate pen in or near the coop where your other chickens can get used to them. After a couple days of this, things should be okay when you release them.

-Frank

9. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    What other animals are around? Are they other birds or bigger livestock?

If they were hatched separate from a flock, I'd be careful trying to re-introduce them. If there is any agression, try letting them out when the other birds (or other animals) are locked up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by