1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does the comb have a different appearance in males as early as 1 week?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Themehmeh, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Themehmeh

Themehmeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Texas
    I can't get pictures but I've got one chick who's 1 week old today. the comb area recedes much further than her little friends, but it always has. There are also two rows of bumps instead of just the one.

The chick in question is a Silver Laced Wyandotte and I'm comparing her to a buff orpington and two aurcauna or americauna (tag said aurcauna but I've been told that's considerably rare for a feed store) The chick is also the most interested in flying. she/he spends pretty much all day hopping up and down flapping it's wings. Wing feathers are all in and tail feathers are coming in, but no feathers on the back yet. Maybe someone could post pictures of their male and female wyandottes at one week to make me feel better? I tried to find comparison pics but there aren't many.

I am in a no chickens zone so if it's a rooster I'm either going to be eating it early or giving it away. But I'd hate to do either because the chick's got spunk and I think it's my favorite.

2. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Here are my girls I got in February. I hope this helps you.

My 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte girls at 1 week old...and 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 2 EE's at almost 2 weeks old...and 9 weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    wyandottes and ee's have different kinds of combs

4. Themehmeh

Themehmeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks Mamahen, This kind of confirms my suspicions. I've been trying to get pics of the comb with my cell but they don't come out well. Those rows of bumps kind of concern me because I don't see them on your chicks. It would really suck if she turned out to be a he, she's my favorite :(

5. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    You are welcome. Give it a while and see if the comb is reddening. I did have a Wyandotte that had a single comb. Hopefully you can get a good pic of your little one and post it. They do move quickly for sure
    I took this yesterday...the girls are 9 weeks old SLW on each end and a Barred Rock
    The white and brown are the EE's and they are now 10 weeks.
    I hope your favorite one is a pullet. Keep us posted
    .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by