Does the coop need a door that closes to keep the Chicken's inside of their house?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimmywalt, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm totally new to raising Chickens. We started yesterday with 3 ISA Browns chicks. I purchased this coop today but it doesn't have a door that closes to keep the chickens in the coop. I see that a lot of coops do have doors that people must close.

You can see where they walk up the ramp to get into the coop, but there isn't a door over that (approx.) 10" x 10" opening.

What is the purpose of the door and is it needed or not?

We live in Michigan where winter nights get to 10 degrees.

Thank you for your help!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I think I saw you post this question already. But Yes I would put a door on it.

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    The door do keep the chicken warm during winter night and keep other animals out if need to. I set my rat trap sometime and like to keep the chicken inside until remove the traps.

4. Ga Boy

Ga Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Gainesville Ga
    Depends on your run is it enclosed. In winter a door is good to hold heat. If you have free range than you need a door to keep them safe at night when they roost. I'm not a big fan of free range chickens. Because we have free range Hawks, Coyotes, cats, and dogs in our neighborhood.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Door for sure. A weasel can easily get through small wire and kill your chickens. Nice coop!

6. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    It's enclosed like this (see picture). It has 1/2" hardware cloth on each side.

This picture is from Google Images. Mine is made by the same company, just a small variation of this picture (no sliding door) - But I can make one! :)

[​IMG]

I'm also going to build a 8' x 30" x 3' run to attach to the coop above. The run will look something like the picture below and will go at the end of the ramp where the chickens come down out of the coop.

[​IMG]

7. Ga Boy

Ga Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Gainesville Ga
    That should keep them safe you could lay some 2X6 boards or rocks around the base so it's harder to dig in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by