Does the coop NEED light?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsplus, Feb 26, 2009.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    My chix are rarely in the henhouse during the day -- they're outside. I have posted pix before of the cool former hunting building I got -- it has "windows" that I covered with hardware cloth -- they have plexi covers on them, which I keep closed in wintertime:

[​IMG]

But the plexi was crappily done by former owner, doesn't seal out drafts well, and is falling apart.

So I can either make new covers that are plexi OR I can just make wooden covers. In summertime, they will be open to allow airflow. In wintertime, closed (and yes, there IS ventilation!).

It would sure be easier to just make wooden covers w/ no plexi! Does it matter that this means it will be pretty dark in there?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are only sleeping in the coop, you don't need a light. I don't have lights in the sleeping areas of my coops, tractors rather, but the birds are out sun up to sun down.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Lights are mostly used to encourage egg laying and produce some heat

4. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    this has nothing to do with the window but what is the material that the walls are made of in that pic ????

i would say go with the plexi if they go inside the house during the day alot if they mainly stay out in the day go with the wood

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Quote:If the current windows aren't in too bad of shape, it seems like you could just apply some foam weather stripping around the windows, so when the plexiglass is closed, it would seal out the drafts?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would stay with the plexiglas, or any other transparent/translucent substitute. Reason being a) to increase their day length (otherwise they are going to 'percieve' daylength as being much shorter than it actually is, thus lay more poorly for much of the year) and b) to make it easier and more appealing for them to go into the coop in the evening. Remember chickens have very poor night vision. If it is too dark in the coop, even if it is not all that dark outdoors yet, they may not go inside and roost properly.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Just composition, I guess. Particle board. The whole thing is covered on the outside w/ metal roofing--it's a fort, LOL:

[​IMG]

8. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Duplicate

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:OK, but . . . In the wintertime it's dark before they go in anyway. I come home at around 5 and they're usually still out (in the dark!) and then they go inside. Red heat lamp on when it's below 35F or so.

In the spring/summer/fall, the windows will be open anyway (with screens in them). So they'll get the light when there IS light. But I'm not sure that having the plexi does much of anything in the winter, since I come to let them out when it's still dark and I come home after dark and they go in after that.

10. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    Quote:Looks like OSB board

I say plywood is fine no need for light at night. But the screens may not keep out the predators.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by