does the deep litter method work with geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, Jun 29, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have a few hens and a goose in my coop that i just finished and ive been trying to use the deep litter method but their seems to be to much goose poo for the shavings to stay clean. Does the deep litter method work with geese or do they poop to much? and if it doesn't work then how often should i clean out the coop?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I didn't find that their poop was the problem, but the water that they carried into the coop in their feathers was the problem. I have found with waterfowl that the deep litter method doesn't work that well because of the moisture. The added wetness makes a soggy, nasty, stinky mess that makes their house smell worse than an open cesspool. I have heard that the addition of Stall-Dry to your bedding helps with the moisture and stench, but I can't say for certain as I have not used it. I don't use the deep litter method if I can help it. I tried it and found it to be unhygienic IMO. I use it in winter months out of necessity, but don't approve of it in general. I will be trying the Stall-Dry next winter with my waterfowl, though. They got very whiffy this winter. [​IMG]

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Well DUH The deep litter method was only used in cold climates in the winter in coops with very good ventIlation. MOSTLY for chickens! The litter used was straw or hay. I know from experience that it works well with Muscovey ducks. How does the moisture from almost water proof feathers compare to the amount they drink? Anything they drink is going to come out again. COLD TEMPERATURE, GOOD VENTILATION!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:There is no need to be rude. Someone asked a question and I answered it to the best of my ability. Don't be a snarky twit just because you disagree with me. If you disagree then state your case and we can discuss it in a civilized manner.

5. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    that is the only way goosedragon knows how to communicate!

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    [email protected] :

Fine figure it out yourself~gd​

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    [email protected] :

In otherwords they are a rude, uneducated buttwipe that can't carry on a conversation without insulting someone or being nasty and mean? [​IMG]

I had to use the deep little method with mine last winter also, and yes it's from the water they puke back up, and the slimy poop and in general it doesn't stay as nice as a chicken coop, but with enough hay in layers, it's doable.​

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  8. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I use deep litter with my ducks and geese. Its about 6-8 inches and I use stall dry and stir it once every other day. Gets stinkier then the chickens faster but I have found it works best for me. I think the last time I removed it all was about 3 months ago durring spring cleaning. Whenever I notice it getting too damp and smelly for my liking I give it a good stir, add stall dry and add a clean layer or shavings on top.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I use it for my ducks but I am in Colorado and our humidity is low. I would NOT do it if I still lived in Wisconsin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by