Does the "Egg Song" last their whole egg laying career?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bozo, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Bozo

Bozo New Egg

May 21, 2010
    At first I thought it was cute and hopefully the neighbors did also. Now with three out of the four laying I don't know if the neighbors are thinking it is cute anymore. Do they do this when they first start laying and gradually stop, or is this something that I can expect for the duration of their egg laying career?
    Thanks,
    Bozo

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Get used to it because they do it for good. Sometimes they don't do it as often and some never do it, but if yours are singing then chances are good that they will keep it up. Mine have been singing for 3 years with no signs of stopping.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Y'know, I love the Egg Song. I really do.

But yesterday was my last day of vacation and for SOME reason, the third time I heard the Egg Song and every freakin' chicken in my flock (it seemed) joined in the chorus, I said to myself, "Self, you need to drink some camomile tea. You're going to miss hearing that tomorrow."

So I did. With a shot of vodka.

Tonight I'll be gathering eggs in the dark when I get home from work. And I bet I'll be able to smile again when I hear the Egg Song on the weekend.

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i have 5 hens and only one of them is laying, when she does lay and sings her egg song, the rest join her in her song and even my rooster joins in sometimes.
    but yes, they will sing for almost there entire lives, even when not laying

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have one that must of taken singing lessons. Clear as day & loud.

6. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a couple that could try out for the Opera...[​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My 16 have no need for microphones. [​IMG]

8. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Yeah, they tend to do it all throughout their lives like the others said. I had one years ago that was a pet, and she did it every day even after she grew old and stopped laying regularly. I guess she just loved to sing!

It makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. There is nothing like the clucking and singing of contented, happy hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by