Does the happiness of your girls determine how many eggs you will get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Depending on the type of chicken. There isn't anything to make me believe they aren't happy I just wonder. Like "what if they aren't happy? How would I know?" I know the days are shorter and they wouldn't lay many eggs. Would happy chickens lay lots of eggs. Like almost daily? I guess this has to do with how many eggs I get. I have 4 red and 4 black Sex links. I also have 2 buff Orpintons that are laying and only 1 of my Brahmas is laying. Our other Brahma hasn't laid an egg yet. I keep seeing that the Sex links are great layers and will even lay in the winter. They only started laying 5 weeks ago. Are they too young to expect more eggs? I don't expect an egg every day from the Orpingtons or the Brahma. I expect more from the Sex links. Is the too much? Are they still too young? I average about 5 eggs a day. Does that seem right? What should I be getting? They are 25 weeks old. Would mites or lice change the amount they lay? I am working on getting rid of those buggers. If they aren't happy I want to do what I can to help them be happy? I also make sure they have food and water. I give them acv in their water ( I started that a week ago), give them yogurt, salad, vegetables, oatmeal, occasionally meat (that is new for me to give them. I don't know why it just seems weird), scrambled egg and occasionally ground up egg shells. I don't give "treats" all the time. A few times a week. They have a run attached to the coop. I let them free range as often as possible. It hasn't been much lately. Any ideas on how many eggs I should be getting? Do you think they are happy?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mites / lice could reduce production. Any kind of stress or change might do it, at least temporarily -- new construction next door, passing dogs barking, etc. Even a new garbage can in the coop to store food in. Certainly, less than 14 hours of light a day. Sounds to me like you are taking good care of them. And I agree, your young sex links will probably lay all winter. No chicken lays every day, though. And it can't be predicted exactly.

You could look this over:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423023

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by