1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does the Heat affect egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nittanyxi, Jul 22, 2011.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    My chickens don't seem to be molting but egg production is off. Does the heat affect egg production?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I've heard that it most certainly will. My girls have only been laying for a couple weeks and I'm now getting an egg a day from each of them. They seem to be tolerating the heat well but they are in full shade and get a great breeze.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Yes, the heat can effect the egg laying.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It mostly decreases their appetite, if they aren't getting enough nutrition it will start to affect production.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Yes it will. If you work outside in this heat would you be up to your regular speed? Want my girls just focusing on staying cool although they are still running around a little bit even though its 95.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I kinda wish my hens would take a break for the next two hot days - I feel horrible to see them sitting in a nest box panting. I've got fans blowing on them, but yikes! I have 18 eggs today so far out of 23 possible layers and I hope that's it. It's 100 with the heat index and that's too hot to be layin'. [​IMG]

7. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    My girls have only given me one egg today...I have been getting 8. I hope they are all okay!

8. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I live in NE Oklahoma, and the temps have been over 100 pretty consistently for over a month now. When it first got really hot, everyone but my lone EE quit laying. I have taken several steps to cool them down, and they slowly restarted laying, and they are now almost back up to normal production. My black stars seem to be handling it the worst. They are the biggest chickens I have & they are always panting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by