Does the math add up to you?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Damummis, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    My DD had a history quiz. She got a 96. However the rest of the class did poorly. They all had to take a re-take. On her re-take she got a 95. The final grade, I checked online, is a 94.......... HUH????

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    It's probably just a typo. She should just politely ask her teacher about it, without making it into a big deal and without getting defensive about it.

Typos happen. They are correctable. And, even if it isn't a typo, I would suggest not making too big of an issue over 2 points on a quiz unless it's actually enough to change her overall letter grade at the end of the year AND she's in high school. It just isn't worth it otherwise...

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:I agree.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Usually the teacher will give the higher score unless re-taking the test will improve the score. [​IMG]

I'm not for allowing students to re-take anything. I think if the teacher feels the test he/she wrote was perhaps too difficult after all, they could just re-adjust the curve.
    That way the students that did well continue to score high against the students that didn't.

Allowing students to re-take isn't fair to the students that really studied hard and got 96. That tells me that achieving a high score is possible!!

I know that teacher's at my kids school say that they prefer that the students learn the information. Well, letting them take a test over and over only teaches them that
    they really don't have to study hard the first time because they'll get another chance. Doesn't work like that in the adult working world!

5. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    DD is a freshman in HS. VERY conscious of her grades and sure 2 point is 2 points, it is the principle of the whole thing that gets my goat. I did e-mail the teacher and asked her to explain the grading because I was confused. I also sent a Cc to the principal. Waiting to see what she says.

ETA: Got an e-mail back. Her mistake on averaging the grade. She is giving her the 96. Yay. I know DD will be happy.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Well, you may now have a reputation at school as a difficult parent.

The correct approach would have been for your daughter to approach the teacher first since it's probably a simple typo.

You "always" address things with the teacher alone first. Simply save a copy of your email. You don't CC a principal over 2 points on a quiz grade when you haven't even addressed this with the teacher previously. Give the teacher a chance here instead of upping the anty, which is what you just did by emailing the principal too. It doesn't make it seem more "urgent" to the teacher. Instead, it gets your daughter -- and you -- put on her mental list of difficult people to deal with, and can affect how she acts toward your daughter at school. Plus, parents & kids who are consistently a problem for teachers DO get mentioned to other teachers, so the reputation can follow your daughter from teacher to teacher and from one school year to the next.

It's best to avoid this type of issue over "little" things (and this really IS little). Take things one step at a time next time.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  7. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I really don't care how I come across to the teachers. If they see fit to label me then they are the ones that will have to deal with me fitting the label. Me, difficult parent? I give a crap about my daughter's education. That is one thing the parents in this town don't. Most of the kids don't even make it to graduation. The teachers have dealt with me before, they are aware that I keep close track of the girls grades and I am quick to act to remedy problems regardless of the degree. Trust me, I can be difficult, but if you do your job right you don't have to deal with me. [​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well this is just my opinion but why did.she have to retake the test if she did so well to begin with? If the teacher were to take an average of the two grades it would give her a 95.5 so no the 94 is incorrect if this is what that teacher was doing.

9. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    can you hear me now? :

Well this is just my opinion but why did.she have to retake the test if she did so well to begin with? If the teacher were to take an average of the two grades it would give her a 95.5 so no the 94 is incorrect if this is what that teacher was doing.

Exactly!!​

10. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Quote:Exactly!!

Hope this wasn't a math teacher.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by