1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does the moon's phase affect hatch rate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RUHAMA, Feb 15, 2008.

1. RUHAMA

RUHAMA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    GA
    I know that with gardening the phase of the moon affects the growth and development of the plants and the moon affects the ocean tides, etc. Does anyone know if the moon phases affect hatching eggs? Is there a prefered time to set or hatch the eggs? I just put my eggs in the incubator anyway, but I noticed that they are set to hatch at the next new moon. Thanks, Eileen

2. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    There is a moon phase for everything, just ask my father-in-law. [​IMG] Guess its one of those things you've got to believe in. There are specific times called out in the farmers almanac. I beleive there's a web site.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I wonder if youd get an evil rooster if it hatched on full moon?

4. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    When I use to work at a hospital, if it was a full moon .......labor & delivery was wide open!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good question, RUHAMA. You could probably get a million dollar grant to study it. Hahahaha! They give money away for lesser good ideas than that one.

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I wonder if youd get an evil rooster if it hatched on full moon?

Maybe not evil but he could probably read your tarot cards and predict your future with a crystal ball, lol!​

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    A silkie hatched on a full moon is the most evil of them all.

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I'm reading "A Biodynamic Farm" by Hugh Lovel--last night I read this:
    The Earth is affected by many influences, including the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, to say nothing of the constellations of the ecliptic. The heavenly bodies are signposts for forces which bear upon the Earth...In the case of the Moon, Mercury, and Venus, their influences work through the limestone, and are seen in growth and reproduction."

Based on that, I would guess you would set eggs before the moon waxes. Maybe you could ask this question on http://www.farmersalmanac.com/

This
    book is an intro to Biodynamics and the soil preps--it doesn't cover animal rearing. You could try "Raising Animals by The Moon" by Louise Riotte.

Sorry I couldn't help more than that.

9. RUHAMA

RUHAMA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    GA
    Thanks, I will investigate the farmers almanac on my next day off. Eileen

10. karen

karen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2007
    Easton,PA
    Quote:LOL!
    Every silky i EVER met had a halo!!!