Does the mottled trait get 'washed out'?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 2, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
  2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

It could just be that she's over a year old. With every molt, birds with some white feathers will get more and more, until they're almost all white usually.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:interestin!!!!

That's a really pretty bird though I'd love to have mottleds like that (err or should i say molteds) LOL!

That's as bad as Cortnix for (coturnix) LOL

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have a blue mottle cochin what was supposed to be a pullet when I bought her a year ago. I have wondered (as have a couple of other knowledgeable poultry folks who saw her back then) if she was splash mottle rather than blue. She has molted twice and is almost completely white now. What mottling she has left is very small and only on her saddle and tail area.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's strange. The one pictured in this listing is definitely mottled, but she has a lot of white mottling on her. The seller says they have two that look like that.
    If yours is supposed to be blue, it could very well be splash. I am pretty sure that breeding blue to blue will give 25% splash, 25% black, and 50% blue, at least I think that's how it works! Good thing is that she should have all blue chicks! Lucky you!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    mine is blue mottled or possibly splash mottled. There is definitely some mottling, but not as good a quality as I'd expected. I'll try to post a photo of her.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Here she is last March. She has less mottling there than when I purchased her in early November 2007, but far more than now.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by