Does the nipple have to go on the bottom?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ZaneyMama, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm trying to make a nipple waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot. Do the nipples have to go on the bottom? How do I get the bucket down to fill it?

Thanks!

2. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
    Put the nipples on the bottom. You hang the bucket from a rope or chain so that its at the
    right height for your birds. Just fill another bucket and pour into the waterer if your hose
    will not reach.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Yes. Take a hose TO the bucket?

4. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    LOL, I guess that makes sense! I'm so used to my annoying poultry waterer with the ridiculously difficult-to-remove top, that I am not thinking of the obvious!

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    LOL That happens!!

6. Tater n Beans

Tater n Beans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Extreme South Texas
    Yes the nipples need to go on the bottom so the chicken can drink properly.
    Get it down from where? A 5 gallon bucket is awfully heavy when full of water.

7. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I'm working on this project too. My question is how do you train your birds to use it? I sort of pointed to it and they pecked at it a bit, but then went back to their old waterer. It's so hot, I don't have the heart to take the other away yet.[​IMG]

8. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    The other thing you can do is put the nipples in a piece of PVC pip and T that out from the lower part of the bucket side. I have unthinkingly put my bucket down on the ground when it was full of water and the nipples are none the worse for wear from it (I take it down so I can clean it before I fill it).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by