Does the over night sneak in work? UPDATE pics pg 3

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Caddy-Corner-Chick, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Songster

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    So the other day I bought a Black Australop Rooster who is about 3 months old now, still peeps like a chick.. very young roo.

Since he is too old to mix with my new flock , I stuck him in with my older girls who are pecking the heck out of him so he has stayed hidden where ever they will leave him alone.
    I read on a site that If I placed them in the coop after dark while they are sleeping, they will wake up and assume since he was there when they woke up he must be part of the flock....

Are they really that stupid, or is little Joey going to get his butt kicked bright and early?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I don't see how that would work only because the second mine see me, they are awake and alert. Maybe other people have more lethargic chickens. [​IMG]

3. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Quote:Right, well my girls all opened their eyes as I slid this baby rooster on their roost, and they all went back to sleep, I assume. So maybe they are awake but not really awake..lol

4. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Update on mine... It didn't work.

They kicked Joey's butt this morning and the poor little Roo was crouched down in a corner when I went out there. I feel for him but know this is a must to get him accepted.

5. Amy Chickie

Amy Chickie In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Please keep us updated because I'll be going through this soon [​IMG]

6. Eliza

Eliza Songster

Jun 16, 2008
    Lisbon, CT
    I introduce new birds, or birds that have been recovering and were separated from the flock into the flock when they are all outside. I'da know, it just seems to work. My newly raised roo was scalped and when he recovered he went to live in the fenced sheep yard - slept with them for about 3 months. All the chickens could see him through the fencing, but they counldn't cause him trouble. Then, one day he flew the coop sorta speak, and then went home with them. Otherwise, I've kept new birds after quarantine in the coop in a small wire cage. When the regular birds go out, I let the new inmates walk around the coop. After a few weeks, when nobody seems to care, I begin to leave the door to the cage open and watch for problems. Eventually they all run outside together and nobody cares. I leave the cage in the coop because the new inmates are used to sleeping in there. When they stop, I take it out.

7. chknmomma

chknmomma In the Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    Eliza-
    That's some good advice. I tried the night time thing with a mom and 7 week old babies. Didn't work. One of the babies was scalped down to the ligaments on the back of her head and all down to her back by the morning (8:20am). Everyone had been free ranging together outside for about a month. But it didn't take.

Good luck with helping home your roo. I have no idea what I am going to do with my injured baby or the 2 other tiny babies in the brooder in the garage. I will definitely be going slower in the future. Don't think the night time thing works.

8. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Quote:thank you

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Songster

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:One time I put an older hen in with a young roo and after a while reintroduced both together to the flock and that worked.

10. koakritters

koakritters Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i have two coops now- those who accept new friends and those who beat them into the ground... guess where all the new ones end up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: