Does the ramp have to be straight?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JanetR, Jun 30, 2011.

1. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    I am making my coop to look somewhat like my house. The house has an outside staircase that goes halfway and then turns:
    [​IMG]

If I do something similar on the coop will the chickens figure it out? I don't want them jumping from halfway up.
    [​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I am sure with a little training they will figure it out ....your doing a great job [​IMG]

keep the pictures coming please,

best wishes,
    Laura

Edit" may I add that the bottom you only have chicken wire...you will want to use Hardware cloth....otherwise it will not be predator proof.....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    You may not want them to jump from halfway down, but they will anyway, even if the ramp is straight.
    Because they are chickens and they can.

5. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    I was kind of bummed out on the first day I let my pullets in to their new run complete with fancy-dandy ramp and they proceeded to fly right up to their porch!![​IMG]

Then they started using the ramp when the mood hit them. Sometimes they will fly to the ground. Sometimes they saunter down the ramp. Sometimes they hurry down the ramp. When they're feeling sporty they fly to the porch then to the top of the coop, then down to the ground.

I'm not sure what that has to do with a switchback type ramp, but I'm pretty sure they'll figure it out.

P.S. I like your design. Great idea!!

Also, they'reHISchickens said it perfectly.

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I am a mean chicken mommy and when I first moved my breeding trios to their chicken tractors, I was rolling with laughter when they would trip halfway down the ramp and roll to the bottom. They figured it out pretty quickly though.

Lanae

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    It will probably work fine as long as you don't have any straight run chickens. [​IMG]

(can't believe nobody beat me to that!)

8. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mine a have a straight ramp and they usually walk up to the side of it and jump up to the door. I actually thought of taking it down and just putting a little landing for them to hop up from the ground to the pop door, because they hardly every actually use the ramp. I think they are going to do what they want to regardless....I would still go with the design you want for aesthetic reasons....

I really like the look of your coop...Great Idea!

Keep the pictures coming... [​IMG]
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by