Does the rooster get the last laugh??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by topeka, Jan 25, 2010.

1. topeka

topeka Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    I must keep a wary eye on my rooster to keep from getting spurred in the back.

When I harvest him after the chopping and flopping and scalding and plucking and cleaning I feel like I have been in a wrestling match.

FINALLY I get the bird on my plate and he is so tough and stringy it takes 5 minutes of chewing to swallow ONE BITE!

THE BIRD IS STILL FIGHTING ME! [​IMG]

Is it possible to have a savory tender meal when the old cranky rooster is on the menu?

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Same here! We had a Polish rooster, "Predator," who took to slyly following us around, so he had to be eaten. (And he was a handsome Silver Laced roo too!) We were disappointed that he was a pain in life and tough on our plates.

Did you age your rooster in the fridge for a day or two before cutting him in pieces or eating him?

Anyway...if it's an old rooster( Predator was about a year) he can't be broiled, or even roasted really. He must be cooked nice and slow -try a crock-pot.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    A day or 2 won't cut with an old rooster. Up that to 5-6 days in the fridge. Last summer we processed some 5 year old hens that turned out nice and tender.

Matt

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Next time just make a nice pot of chicken-n-dumplings or chicken noodle soup.
    I made a big pot of chicken noodle soup Sunday out of a 2 year old white rock hen. DELICIOUS

here is what I do

Place chicken in good size pot, with half a yellow onion diced, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and let simmer for several hours.
    Salt and pepper brooth to taste. If it doesn't have enough flavor for you add some chicken boulion cubes. My hen was fat enough not additional chicken flavor was needed.
    Bring to boil then add cut carrots and celery and my noodles, cook at a rolling boil for 20 to 30 minutes until done.
    Add your cut up meat and serve with cornbread or fresh rolls. HMM HMM GOOD.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
  6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] This post is making me hungry! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by