Does the rooster have to be the same breed as the hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken phan, Jun 27, 2009.

1. chicken phan

chicken phan In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Northfield, MN
    Was wondering if the rooster has to be the same breed as the hens to successfully hatch eggs? I'm new to incubating and to this site. Thanks all![​IMG]

chicken phan

2. Nope. All the rooster has to do is be able to reach.

3. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    No. You can mix any breeds that you want, but the offspring just won't be pure bred. I loved mixed breed chickens, personally. Sometimes they are beauties!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Some of the most beautiful chickens I have hatched are mixed breeds!!! It is really fun to see all the combinations!!! [​IMG]

5. chicken phan

chicken phan In the Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Northfield, MN
    Thanks much!!![​IMG]

6. crait

crait Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    My rooster is way too big for my dwarfism-impaired hen...

7. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    Don't be so sure. My Light Brahma LF roo has taken a REAL liking to a gold laced bantam cochin I have. When I first saw him "dance" and then breed her I was shocked and amazed that he did not hurt her and that she didn't run for the hills to boot - I would have. He is at least 5 times her size. He is very gentle with her. Now his 4 light brahma hens he basicly grabs and mounts whenever he wants. He romances the little bantam hen by dancing and struting in front of her first and she always submits before he even trys to mount her. I have one egg from this pair that I just set in the incubator the other day - hoping it hatches so I can see the results, lol. Should be interesting!

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Where are my manners? I forgot to say [​IMG]

9. i meant to edit my post and say that, too: [​IMG]

. . . but got caught up in a million chicken-related things. [​IMG]

10. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Personally, I would not want a rooster that was not the same breed as my hens. When the hens got older and needed to be replaced, I would not want to take a chance on what kind of chickens I'd end up with when I hatched the crossed eggs. I bought the breed that I like and wanted to stick with because of their temperament.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: