1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does the Silkie broodiness pass when crossed w/LF

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenSearcher, Jan 15, 2011.

1. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I have 3 handsome Silkie roos, it appears the females either died in shipping or had unresolved splayed leg and needed culling. Made me heart sick. Now, in the future I see the silkie roos treading the BA pullets (they share a coop) the size difference isn't that much between them and they are used to each other. Will their decedents tend to be more broody? I got the silkies so I could have broodies but now I am assuming I have roos, the three I have just reek of maleness. No crowing confirmed, they are only 14 wks, but they have clearly visible, good sized combs and waddles and bold upright postures. Should I start budgeting for an incubator?

DH is teasing me about them being pets, saying I have 39 pets. Just 'cause he can't 'off' a chicken, he likes to reflect that on me, but I am the one that culls when it has been necessary. Makes me heartbroken, but I do what is necessary. With the plans for breeding, I suspect I will have to harvest the roosters, but frankly, I can't see myself harvesting silkies, I don't find the idea of purple/black meat appealing.

Thanks-

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that the silky/BA X will produce broody pullets. Somewhere on here there is a post from someone who crossed silkies on leghorns (generally non broody) and developed their own flock of medium sized broodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by