Does the smell of peanut oil bother you??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Tala, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I just fried french fries for dinner. I use a stock pot and about 1.5 gal of peanut oil because I have found by trial and error that using the bigger pot is much safer even if it does mean that I have to heat and store extra oil. Anyway, when cooking I smell french fries. Smells good.

But afterwards.....it seems like the smell of roasted peanuts is stuck inside my nose! Probably it's on my clothes and my hands and my hair too....I'm about to go shower so maybe that'll help.
    I cooked a couple of hours ago and I'm still being annoyed by the smell of peanuts! [​IMG]

On the other hand, my sinuses feel clearer than they have in days!!! [​IMG]

That is all.

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I am not sure that I could tell the difference between the oil types. I don't think my nose is sensitive enough...that or I just need to pay attention more. [​IMG]

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I don't know if peanut oil would bother me but I am VERY sensitive to other smells and tastes... I have an aversion to.... I can taste plastic on any food stored with it or wrapped in it. I won't eat any food out of plastic bottles...not even soft drinks. I believe you about your aversion... You aren't allergic on some level? I would be careful just in case. I can also taste corn syrup in anything... I am really allergic to corn... and to the plastics also.

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    My mother is very sensitive to the smell of peanut oil. She cant stand it and says it makes her queezy. I cant tell the difference but I never fry anything so Im not experienced in those aromas. [​IMG]

5. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    I am not the type of person who can fry anything in oil. The smell makes me queezy. My mother-in-law is from Germany and apparently an amazing cook. The first time I met her I was on bed-rest, very pregnant, and she filled the house with the aroma of cooking oil for days as she fried everything with gallons of oil. Now I can barely use any without feeling gross. [​IMG]
    Oh well.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The smell of oil just lingers. My son works in a tavern kitchen- and even after his clothes are washed I can still smell the oil on them. Bleh!

Some people are what scientists call "super smellers" and "super tasters", and are really repulsed by certain things. For me it's cilantro (smells like soap/palmolive) peppermint, and lavendar. They're completely repellant to me. [​IMG]

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG] Not really

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The smell of any frying oil makes me think of Chanukah so I rather like it!

9. RoosterRehab97

RoosterRehab97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Lord Yes!!!! 5 bottles of the stuff spilled in my pantry, EVERYTHING smells like peanut oil!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:My daughter is one of those. I can't get away with altering any recipe that she likes, one taste and she KNOWS! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by