1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does the turner effect the temperature?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazyforchicks, Jan 11, 2011.

1. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I went into lockdown yesterday and my temp wont return to where it was, It was sitting steady at 99.5- 100.5 Now it is a struggle to stay at 99.0 I took the turner out yesterday and was wondering if the turner effects the temperature and should I raise the temp and risk a spike? I am patiently waiting advice for anyone who might have any. [​IMG] Thanks

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I dont use a turner vary often, but I dont think I would mess with the temp. the little mooter shouldn't make that much difference, just try to hold on to what you got, that's my opinion.

3. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I would just put a blanket over it to bring up the temp a little. If you start adjusting now, it could take all day to get it right and you risk losing the hatch.
    Good luck!

4. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Is the thermometer (or thermometer sensor) in exactly the same place as it was before you removed the turner? If it's in a different place, you might just be seeing a different reading due to thermal layering. It's also possible that the removal of the turner has affected the air movement inside the incubator and that has resulted in a different temperature reading where the thermometer is located. Although the motor in the turner would give off some heat, its removal shouldn't have a long term effect on the temperature inside. I wouldn't be too quick to adjust the thermostat, but of course they're your eggs, not mine. [​IMG]

5. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Quote:The thermometer is in a totally different place, I dont want to open it because of lockdown and it took all day yesterday to get it back to 99.6 Is it ok to just leave it there and hatch it at this rate? This is my second hatch, but I dont know what to do? [​IMG]

6. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:I think that's the answer. The temperature hasn't really changed inside the incubator; it's just a change in the location of the thermometer that is causing the change in the readings. Unless you see more fluctuations, I think the best thing is just leave it alone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by