does this any look near laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

2. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    It's hard to tell from your pic, but she does look young/small. Do you know how old she is?

What to look for? Reddening of comb and wattles. Going into a squat when you reach down to pet or shoo her. Noisy, pacing behavior.

Hope that helps.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Please refrain from double posting. Your picture is too small to tell anything specific about your hen.

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    just seeing if this makes it bigger[​IMG]

5. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    No it doesnt [​IMG], her face is going from pink to red and she is getting noisier...

6. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Usually there are clues you see or find if they are going to lay an egg. Firstly, look at the face. Is it pale pink or red as is if they have a bad rash. (Lol, thats what i thought they had when they had the red face.) If they are going to lay an egg at that moment, usually i would hear a cry/crow that sounds different.

If you want to make it lay, i suggest has a comfortable environment and has good food with lots of protein, calcium, etc. Make sure it knows where the nest boxes are. It also depends on the breed. Some breeds mature quickly and some dont so just be patient and youll get your egg from her soon. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by