Does this baby chick seem sick? (10 sec video)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RiverMan420, Jul 12, 2011.

1. RiverMan420

RiverMan420 RIP 1963-2014

Jun 16, 2011
    Here is a really short video of our only baby chick. She hatched 2 days ago and seems lethargic and looks like it's panting. We are keeping the brooder at 95f and the humidity at around 60%

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I haven't watched the video (slow computer) but if the chick looks like it's panting your brooder might well be too hot. The whole brooder doesn't have to be 95F, just as long as part of it is warm and part of it is cooler; the chick will regulate itself depending on how much heat it needs. Make sure there are cool spots for it. This is absolutely essential. Overheating chicks can kill them very quickly! Also, you don't really need to worry about the humidity once they've hatched, unless you live in a very hot and humid area, in which case it can be unpleasantly high for the chicks.

Updated to add: Just managed to see the clip - there's something definitely not right with that chick. I don't ahve any experience with sick chicks so I can't offer any more advice than I already have. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you uot...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:I'm not an expert but I agree that there is something not right about the chick. I just don't know what to suggest. Is the humidity that high because of where you live?

4. RiverMan420

Jun 16, 2011
    Quote:I'm not an expert but I agree that there is something not right about the chick. I just don't know what to suggest. Is the humidity that high because of where you live?

We are in Northern Alabama and the humidity outside is around 87%

5. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Is the chick drinking?

6. RiverMan420

Jun 16, 2011
    Quote:I haven't seen her drink on her own but when I put her beak in the water she puts her head back and moves her mouth like she's drinking

7. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    The mouth isn't open so it might not be panting...

However, I watched the other videos of a baby chick on your channel- if it is the same chick you can see it doing that in the incubator too but less pronounced. Watch closely. There are lots of things it could be - inner ear problem affecting balance, neuro problems, even having a twitch or vitamin deficiency. I'd make sure the chick is eating and drinking and give it some vitamins (polyvisol without iron) and see. Make sure she's not too hot and keep an eye on her, there is something wrong for sure but how severe is not outwardly known. Could just be a funky chicken all her life with minor twitching - I had a horse this way. He made LOTS of funny faces and was healthy besides being tired from all the convulsions. He ate a ton - that horse was BUFF from all the 'working out' his body was doing without his permission!

Disclaimer: I am fairly new to chickens but am applying my wildlife rehabber knowledge to this situation.

8. mwenstrand

mwenstrand Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    There is something wrong with this chick. It sounds like the humidity is quite high where you live. Check that out.

9. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:I haven't seen her drink on her own but when I put her beak in the water she puts her head back and moves her mouth like she's drinking

When some of my chicks were ill I had some people suggest putting sugar in their water. I don't know if it helps but it made me feel better to be doing something.

10. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    It's breathing seems labored. Maybe the humidity is causing the air to be too thick for it to get a real breath in and out....kind of like people with asthma. I would put the chick inside an air conditioned room with a dry heat source at 90-95 degrees with plenty of room to get out of the direct heat as it wants. Unfortunately this chick just maybe have some other issues going on like under developed lungs or too small of an airway. Good luck and prayers for your baby.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by