Does this breed ACTUALLY exist?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by eenie114, Sep 9, 2010.

1. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Hey everyone,
    my friend is claming she has seen a (in her words) 'Cochin bantam Barred Rock'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm PRETTY sure this isn't an actual breed. [​IMG] My best guess is that it's a 'barnyard special'. [​IMG]

TIA. [​IMG]

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    from McMurray

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bantam_barred_cochin.html

Soldiers returning from China brought the first Cochin bantams to England in the 1860’s. They were known as “Pekin” bantams then and are still referred to as “Pekins” in many parts of Europe. Cochins are heavily feathered down the shanks and toes and appear to be much larger than they actually are. They are very gentle, excellent setters, require little space, and with their many color varieties are absolutely beautiful to look at. Cochins are the most popular of the feather legged bantams and one of our best setters. Accepted into the shows in 1965 the Barred Cochin is somewhat of a newcomer. To many people the barred variety is extremely pleasant to look at with its defined parallel bars of alternate dark and light colors throughout the length of each feather.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are barred Cochins and barred Plymouth Rocks, not Cochin Barred Rocks. I've heard folks make that mistake more than once. She's combined the names of two different breeds. Barred is a color. Rock is a breed, Cochin is a breed, and they both come in barred as well as in bantam size.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Barred Cochin Bantams - [​IMG]

6. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    my uncle had a bantam cochin hen and a plymoth rock rooster (he had other hens in his mixed flock but only this one rooster) and they cross breed. its possible that a similar case may have resulted in the bird your friend saw.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The feed store had some bantam barred Cochins in a cage and the label said "Barred Rock Cochin". [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, I know of started chicks being sold once as "rare Rock Islands." Since it was at the fair and those purchasing birds were almost unilaterally knowledgeable exhibitors, it was listed more as a joke (and if you knew the person, you would always question whether there is a joke behind ANYTHING he says) than seriously.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by