Does this Buff Orpington have a problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tcstoehr, Aug 5, 2014.

1. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    Not exactly an emergency, but I didn't know where else to post this. My Buff Orpington has black discoloration on her face. I don't know if it's just dirt or what. She's been eating figs, peaches and blackberries that might get her face all sticky, but it has been there for at least a week. I thought some more knowledgeable folks might be able to see if this looks like anything problematic. I don't know. She's about 20 weeks old and her waddle has been coloring up of late. Does this look like a problem or is she just a messy girl?

Link to full res photo

[​IMG]

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    I'm going to tell you she's a very messy girl as it appears to not be isolated to just her comb and waddles, seems to be in her head feathers as well...lol

3. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    I have come across this problem several times in owning chickens, and it is just dirt, cracked skin, or other little sticky things that get stuck to her. I have had this happen a lot, but it doesn't affect them in any way, as at first I was terrified that she had mites. You can clean it off with a tooth brush if you really want to, but either way it is okay.

4. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    It did look like mites when I first noticed it, but a closer inspection negated that. My best guess was that it was harmless dirt, but my eyesight is poor and for all I knew it was an infection or a growth or who knows what. I'm pretty new at keeping chickens so I was a bit ignorant. I can see it on my Austrolorp too. Thanks for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by