Does this chick look bloated? Do u think someone cut her wings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tmfineg, Mar 5, 2013.

1. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I rescued it from a middle schooler who's AG department thought it would be a good idea to sell 1 baby chick to each child who wanted one. I actually received two from the same school from different people. News travels fast that you have chickens! The chicken seems bloated. I have had it for a day and a half. Poo is mostly normal, had a brown runny one this morning. It lays down more than the other chick. It seems to have a little more energy this morning. I am giving it good quality chick feed and electrolytes.

As i said in title, i think someone cut its wink feathers. What do u think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    The posture looks like it could be a case of Kinky Back (scoliosis). Either that or chick's having some digestive difficulty perhaps from stress. I hope it is the latter and you can get the chick back on track. Stories like this annoy me. The people in the school department who made the decision to give one chick per kid obviously aren't concerned with the survival of the chicks. Ignorance and irresponsibility in regard to animals equals cruelty. Just ask your local Humane Society how it is regarded in court. Whoever made the decisions in the AG department should be fired for incompetence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by