Does this chick need to be culled?

okiemamachick

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
Oklahoma
It was born yesterday I assisted I probably shouldn't have and it would have died a natural death:( it's leg turns in very badly and it's unable to walk in fact it turns in so bad that it mostly lays on it try belly and the bad leg stuck out behind it. Is there anything that can be done? Here she is laying on her back

[/URL

and here's how she stays just on her belly

[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/okiemama2girls/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150317_172626_zpsy9dt93zf.jpg.html]
For what it's worth she has energy and chirps a bit (not a ton just normal) and she does move around its just scooting on her belly and she isn't standing.[/URL]

I've had some success with splitting and hobbled for leg problems but it's alway a matter of quality of life. Will the bird be able to function. If the leg doesn't work the bird can't walk. If the bird can't walk they can't be with other birds or they will be pecked. My best advice, try splits and hobbles and hope for the best but he prepared to cull if it doesn't work so don't get attached.

That looks like pasty butt! You need to clean him/her off very gently and put some Vaseline on.

If the baby's not cleaned up, he'll die because he can't poop.

Looks more like unabsorbed yoke than pasty butt. Leave that alone so you don't risk damaging the chick if it's abdominal wall isn't closed enough.

Yes, I wasn't asking about the belly she doesn't have pasty butt. I was asking about the leg. AmyLM thanks for the advice I tried hobbles and it didn't help it's like the whole leg it's rotated wrong :/

It's a heart breaker. No doubt about it. I'm all for giving a baby chick all the help it needs, but it appears this one is hopeless. I would gear myself up for it, and cull. It's not an easy decision, and not an easy undertaking, but it's a much kinder thing than consigning the little one to a life of impossible struggle.

Guys the picture is a couple hours old the belly button is almost 100% fine now I just was unsure on the leg thing. Is there anything to be done about that?

It's a bit early to determine the fate of this little one. give her an other 24 hours, then assess the leg. I've had one with curled toes. Gave it till morning, and gathered the supplies to splint the foot. By the time I got around to it, she was walking on it just fine.

Thank you. What I did was wrap each leg with sport's tape up the the hip then took a piece of sports tape about 3 inches long by 1/4 inch wide and wrapped it once around the leg going outward on the leg that was twisted inward then lifted it over the back of the chick and attached it yo the normal leg this keeps an outward torque on the inward twisted leg. We shall see!

Back
Top Bottom