Does this chick need to be euthanised?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mareslee, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Mareslee

Mareslee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I've hatched 3 chicks in an incubator but the second one is looking dodgy. It hatched yesterday (about 18 hours ago) and has fluffed out etc, but something seems to be wrong with its legs. Basically they are spread out to the side and the body just sort of flops forward onto the floor - it does try to move it's legs, but they just sort of flap. The next chick to hatch (about 12 hours later) is up on it's feet though still a little wobbly. My description isn't very good i know, but does my wobbly chick stand a chance?

2. Pazzwegian

Pazzwegian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Sounds very much like the chick has spraddle legs. It is fixable but needs to be treated ASAP.Best to research for pics first, but basically you grab a bandaid, cut it in half lengthways, put the gauze bit between the chicks legs above the knees, and stick the ends to either leg. This should hold the legs in position until the hop joint sets in the right place. Hope I have explained this ok, but please do a quick search for pictures as well. Good luck!

3. Mareslee

Apr 27, 2011
    Thank you SO much for replying. I was fully expecting to be told it was a goner so the possibility it might be fixed is great. it's kind of what we thought looked necessary too, but thought we were unrealistic. Ive taped it up, goodness knows if it will work, but really appreciate the back up. Thank you.

4. Pazzwegian

Jul 25, 2013
    No worries, hope it turns out ok! Let us know how it goes

5. Pazzwegian

Jul 25, 2013
    Forgot to say, sometimes spraddle legs is caused by slippery surfaces. Depending on your incubator, might be worth adding some non slip drawer matting or similar for grip.

6. Mareslee

Apr 27, 2011
    I'm afraid i don't think this chick will come right. It has improved a little since i hobbled its legs, but only just manages to keep itself the right way up, mostly with the aid of its wings. It's quite chipper; does try to keep it's body a bit more up than before (more or less beak between toes previously), but I haven't seen it eat anything and doesn't drink on its own, is not really very mobile and the toes on the right foot are kind of limp most of the time now. Not sure if i should give it more time or save it from a slow death.

7. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    If there's some improvements, give it a bit more time. I know how it is, I hatched a chick yesterday that was very different & sadly can't be improved. It didn't develop an eye socket or eye & I thought it would naturally fail overnight. Got up just before & its standing & learning to navigate using its one eye, which is small and a funny shape.
    Its lucky its a pet or I would have culled it, I am very familiar with farm life and have bolted pigs etc chick would be no problem .

How's your Chickie?

8. Pazzwegian

Jul 25, 2013
    Sorry to hear that! It's a very tough call to make, but I would have thought it would have improved a lot by now if it was going to. Maybe give it one more day and make the call then?

9. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I find with spradled legs that if it has to do with the way it developed in the egg it is very hard to fix, but if it happened after it hatched due to slippery surfaces than it has a good chance it can be corrected.

10. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Did you have newspaper or a slippery surface on the bottom of your incubator? If so, that's likely the cause. Search for spraddle leg in the injuries forum. People fix the affected chicks up all the time, and they go on to live productive lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by