does this cochin look SQ

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hensplease, Dec 29, 2009.

1. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    he still is still going to fill out hes only 6 months [​IMG] and

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    no, he is pet quality

3. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    what are his flaws?

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Could you get some more angles of him? Maybe a side view, a front view, and back view will help.

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Look up cochin breed charecteristics. his tail should be more round

6. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

7. dani2

dani2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Hi I would love to see some pictures of what people consider show quality? Or even a few pictures showing birds and pointing out there faults. I have read the breed charecteristics but to a beginner it is hard to really know what is good or bad unless you can see it on a live bird.

8. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Here Is my Hatchery Bird From Stromburgs
    [​IMG]
    Here is My SQ hen Look at feathering differences, stance ext.
    [​IMG]
    Look how her tail is a Ball? cushion, not pionty
    [​IMG]

9. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Also look how the white hen stance is compared to hatchery stance
    EDIT*** Your little guy is beautiful though [​IMG] Unless your planning on showing him who cares if hes "Sq". But with a little work you could getfuture generations SQ :)I bet he has a great personality!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Yup, he looks like a fine and dandy pet.

Here are some of the problems with him as far as showing goes:

Big cochin thing-width and depth of body and cushion. Your bird is relatively narrow, and he has more of a tail then a cushion.
    Main tail feathers- "rooster" feathers in his tail. Not as long or as large as most roosters of other breeds, but still, cochins of either gender should not have hard, stiff feathers in their tails.
    Comb- your boy has too many points on his comb. Unfortunately, while this is not a major issue, when birds that have excessive points are bred the amount of points tend to mutate into 7, 8, 9 etc.

Cochins should be as wide as they are tall, according to the bantam standard. Which, unfortunately, you boy is not.
    He has nice leg feathering, but there is a definite split in the feathers coming off of the hocks and the feathers along the shanks.

Overall, his body feathering is tight, which suggests a hatchery bird.

his good points- He has good leg and beak coloring. His eyes look like they're a nice, orange/bay color. It doesn't appear that he has any foreign color (red, grey, black, etc) in his hackles, saddle, or tail feathers where the colors are most prominant on males.

If he has the cochin personality, then he'd be an awesome bird for 4-H, and might even place at small, local shows. But I wouldn't use him as a major showbird or breeder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by