Does this coop look ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hemolymph, Apr 4, 2011.

1. hemolymph

hemolymph Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    It doesn't look bad, but it appears to be made with OSB instead of plywood and as soon as it gets rained on the OSB will swell and then deteriate. I wouldn't spend that much for it, but that's just me.

3. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I agree. OSB if treated right can hold up pretty good but if just painted it will deteriorate quickly. You should be able to find something much better for that price.

4. hemolymph

hemolymph Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    That's the cheapest coop I've found [​IMG]

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Since it looks like he makes them, ask how much to make one with exterior grade plywood instead of the OSB. Might be just a $20 price increase.

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    The OP is in the Pheonix area. I doubt he has to worry a whole lot about rain [​IMG]
    If you can still do so, find an organic way to treat the wood. This looks like the plan out of the old Storey's How to Build a Chicken Coop. The price isn't bad if you don't want to have to build and you aren't worried about it getting wet. OSB will deteriorate, but not in one year, it takes time, and where you are I think it would last a few years.

7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    My pump house was built with OSB 6 years ago (by previous owners). Not treated or painted. Not rotting yet. In the Florida rain and through several hurricanes.

I think a painted coop of OSB will last pretty long in Phoenix weather.

8. That is a good coop for the money. Although it will not stand up to any moisture as already noted. I am in Phoenix with this coop. And YES I am a coop craftsman. Not necessarily soliciting business but providing an example of what you can find. I would never recommend OSB inside or out due to mites. Painted seals the wood. That is why I paint the wood in the run also. Just a recommendation. Building a coop gets expensive really fast if you don't have materials lying around. So for the money again, not a bad deal. It won't look good after a rain though. You may want to try your hand at something like this for 4 hens. Put whatever roofing you like best. I still recommend free ranging if you can. Its good for everyone.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65954_dsc_0174.jpg

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I think it is fine for the money he's asking. With another coat of paint it could hold up for a while in your climate. My main concern would be with the use of chicken wire instead of hardware cloth or some other sort of galvanized wire. That wire would not be much of a barrier to a determined dog. You could add the hardware cloth after you bought it, or work something out with the builder in advance. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by