Does This Exist???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lauriruth, May 17, 2010.

1. lauriruth

lauriruth Songster

Want to close under the eaves of my coop with something like wire cloth. does such a thing exist that is strong enough to keep out climbing critters? the dang hardware cloth has wounded me for the last time![​IMG]

2. farmgirljen

farmgirljen In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Corvallis Oregon
    Have you thought about screen door screen? also there is a roll of some sort of wire cloth designed fo covering gutters and it is 4 inches wide and comes in a roll...

3. lauriruth

lauriruth Songster

farmgirljen, yes i've seen it on line, not in person. i just worry that it's not strong enough to thwart a coon!

4. chickM4st3r(AL)

chickM4st3r(AL) In the Brooder

May 9, 2010
    LI,NY
    try using wood with slots in them works 4 me

5. bwknight877

bwknight877 In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    I have a pair of Mechanix gloves that have kept my hands stab free from hardware cloth so far, maybe a nice pair of work gloves will save your hands too

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    No, wire windowscreening is NOT predatorproof. Ask all the various people who've had raccoons rip through it to get a pie sitting on the counter or a bushel of peaches in the screen porch or suchlike [​IMG]

Hardwarecloth and gloves is honestly the way to go. You only have to do it once.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

7. Siler

Siler Songster

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    For small areas I've used a wire I think I purchased at Lowe's. The holes are about a half inch square. The Mechanix gloves do work great. I use tiny hobby wire cutters and it keeps the ends smooth.

8. 4estgump

4estgump In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Anderson Co. KY
    Go to your nearest Lumber Yard or Lowes and ask for 1 section of eve siding. It has all kinds of little holes in it, you can cut it with tin snipes or a heavy set of sissors. Its about a foot wide, and 12 foot long.
    Hope This Helps 4est

9. lauriruth

lauriruth Songster

Thanks everyone for your responses!

10. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:I got this stuff in the section with the corrugated roof and roof vents. Works great. Affordable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by