1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this guy need eye drops. *caution --- Yucky pictures*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FisherMOM, Oct 23, 2009.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Here's my little d'Uccle rooster with a gunky eye. He has been this way
    since he hatched. I cleaned it off thinking maybe he got some straw in it,
    which may have originally been the case. He has not been in straw since the morning he hatched. I have them all in a brooder in the house
    on wood pellets. At first they were on a towel... but the past week, I moved them onto wood pellets. (works great too!)

I have since seen the others peck at his eyes.
    I separated him for a few days, and put Terramycin in
    his water and food. It started to look better, so I put him back in the flock.
    It's yucky again and I started the Terramycin again and they are all getting it.
    (the antibiotic.. not gunky eye) he is the only one with the yucky eye.

October 21st

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When he was at his worse, each time, he looked sick.
    Didn't want to move and stayed as fluffed up as a chick with so few feathers can.
    He is quite peppy now and I am hoping that I am doing the right thing.
    He is so peppy that is takes me a few seconds to figure out which chick he is! (out of 6)

Should I get this little man some eye drops too?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

his good eye. We have nicknamed him POP-EYE! hmmm. lol

[​IMG]

2. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    What a handsome little dude! I sure hope he gets better!

I was going to recommend the terramycin but see you're already using it in his food and water. Have you tried the terramycin eye ointment? How old is he/how long has this been going on?

3. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    thanks. He's 21 days old today. This has been going on since he hatched. I just thought that maybe some of the egg membrane was dried on his face.. which maybe it started out that way and they pecked him sore.

I have not tried eye drops or cream yet

4. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    Aww. Looking at the poor guy is making my eyes twitch. [​IMG]

5. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I have one the does that occasionally, no other signs of respiratory anything, he just has one eye that waters and gets a little gooey here and there. None of the others have shown any signs ever and he has been doing this for 5 years. I bought an eye wash at the store in the people section of pharmacy, wash his eye and then apply a little terramycin eye ointment in it for a couple days and it clears up. Mine started as an adult and seems almost allergy related. I don't know about your little guy though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by