does this happen to you at times?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mogli, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

i went out to check on the girls this morning and to feed them there bread and i went to look for eggs but none were in the nesting box insted i found 2 eggs broken an the coop floor on there poop board broken and frozen why do they do that in the nite time? i think they do it at nite idk do hens lay at nite while there roosting on accedent?

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    How old are they? Sometimes the eggs surprise young layers. Or maybe they just didn't want to get up to lay because of the cold.

3. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    It is my understanding that they have horrid night vision. If it is overcast then it is probably really dark in there. You could try adding one or two itty bitty 0.5 watt led candellabras to the coop. You can even use photocells and a few rechargeable AA batteries to power them.

4. Mogli

there a year 5 to 6 months old:p i dont 100% know haha but they lay pretty good this is my 1st winter with them they lay ok in the winter

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    We had two just like that night before last when we got home from the day at my mom's. My DH went out to check for eggs because I was afraid of them freezing. (and chicken to go out there at night) He came in and told me and was worried something had been in there either scaring them or had knocked the eggs out of the egg boxes. Not the egg box thing....the lip is too high. And the eggs were right under where they were roosting.

I think they laid while on the roost. It gets dark so much earlier...maybe they needed to lay and everyone got on the roost and they did not want to be left behind. Regardless, I got some paper towels and went out to clean it up....but made DH go with me.

Seldom do things happen like this....but once in a while.....

6. Mogli

yeah it happens to me once in awhile too idky they do it maybe they just create an egg inside of them during the nite and dont feel like geting up in the middle off the nite to lay it so they just let it drop while there roosting idk [​IMG] those were 2 really nice eggs too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by