1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this hen's comb and wattles look too pale?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jonalisa, Aug 30, 2014.

1. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    My Blue Orpington is almost 18 weeks old. Her comb and wattles seem paler than my other 8 hens (all different breeds). Some of my hens have combs and wattles that very small still, and I also have 3 hens close to laying whose combs are very red, so its difficult to compare them.
    My Blue seems healthy other than the fact that she is close to the bottom of the pecking order and gets picked on here and there by the top hens.
    Should I be concerned? Is there anything I should look for or give her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Is she acting strange at all? Does she fluff up in an awkward form or sneeze, hack, wheeze etc?

3. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    Not really. No sneezing or ruffled feathers. She seems as active as the others.
    She does look a little scruffy but she's changing color, so I am not quite sure. They are all on grower food. They get electrolytes/probiotics about twice a month. I supplement feed with boiled egg/raw veg every week. Here are some more photos...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<----She's the one on the right

4. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    she's just maturing a little slowly. My RSL and production red gals are all the same ages- 7 are laying now and have red faces and bright red larger combs and wattles- others are still small, pale, and kind of waxy looking. she'll catch up.

5. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I'm really relieved to hear that!
    Thanks...I'll still keep an eye on her but I feel better about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by