Does this little pullet have a cold? Or could it be something worse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BookWorm243, Mar 14, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I just got this little pullet today she is a Bantam Dominique that is 8 months old. I gave her a bath because she smelt horrible and had some poop stuck to her bottom. I have noticed that she has a runny nose, but her snot smells very fowl along with her breath. Her eyes seem to be a little watery as well, her eyes are not cloudy or anything. She has her feathers puffed a little and clearly looks like she is sick with something. She is under weight as well, not sure if that matters [​IMG] What do you guys think is wrong with her?

Thanks everyone!

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Sounds like Coryza to me with the foul smelling discharge.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

4. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks for the website!
    yep it sounds like she has Coryza [​IMG] How should I go about treating it? I got her from a guy in canton and I will leave it at that. She seemed fine when we picked her up, but when I got her home and was really watching her I started to notice this. I have no clue how long se has had it [​IMG] Thanks for the help so far everyone [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Read here, it's about the 4th disease down the page:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I'm sure there are other sources as well. If she were mine I would not put her with my flock.

6. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks,
    I am keeping her away from the other ones until she gets better. Stupid me [​IMG] When we met the guy he had his back to us as he got her out. He took a minute to turn around but did not think much about it and he kind of held her up like " see look at her, here take her " but I have had other people do that to and there was nothing to it [​IMG] Well I think this time it did. I am wondering while his back was to us he wiped her eyes and nose so we would not see that she is sick. [​IMG]

7. chickengrl

chickengrl Songster

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Oh my, that's a nasty disease. I am sure you won't be able to return her. He sounds a bit shady. I think Coryza is one of those infections that will leave her a carrier even if she gets better. Chickens don't get colds like we do and there are about a half dozen things it can be, although with the nasty smell it certainly could be coryza. Be extra careful not to contaminate your flock. Take care of the sick chicken last and wash those clothes after. Gotta clean your boots too. It's really sad that people are so willing to sell sick chickens and infect someone elses flock. Really sorry you have to deal wih this and sorry about your hen, she probably feels horrible. good luck!

8. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:As I understand it, she will not get better, in the sense of being cured. She will always be a carrier, they symptoms will come and go, and she will never be really healthy. If it is actually a different respiratory disease, these things are likely to be true as well. I do not know a lot about them, but I do know that many experienced chicken keepers will not keep a flock with a respiratory disease. If you are going to keep her, please do some research and learn more about what you are dealing with.

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. As far as I am concerned, selling or even giving away a bird, knowing it has a respiratory disease, is inexcusable.

9. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I have done more reading since than and everyone says just to cull the bird [​IMG] I am freaking out right now I gave the new pullet water ( dish 1 ) and had another ( dish 2 ) for a hen outside. Well I emptied out the dish 1 in the sink and dish 2 was still empty on the counter. It was mixed up and a family member filled up the dish in the sink and not the one on the counter [​IMG] So my hen drank out of the same dish as the pullet, I have read that they can get this disease from sharing a water dish. Is my hen going to catch it now?

Sorry for freaking out [​IMG]

10. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    This is my poor sick girl.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: