1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Does this look like a BCM roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Goose and Fig, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- I know it's a roo- but my friend ( Hi Holly!) hatched olive eggers at the same time as black copper marans. Might I have gotten one of them? If so, I'll probably keep him to go with some EE girls. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    looks girlie to me.

3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chirping

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    if it is a rooster, I don't think it's BCM. If it's BCM, either it isn't a rooster, or its a very poor representation of the breed. The neck should not be black on a BCM rooster.

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Happy~
    How old is this young man???

Some BCM's can take a while to show their copper, he still looks pretty young. Give him a little more time to see if the copper comes in. Also, some Black Coppers do not show any signs of copper but still carry the gene.

BTW: Do I see a little Salmon Faverolle pullet behind him??? [​IMG] I miss my fav's!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    It's only about 5 weeks old. The chest has some red in it- doesn't show up to well in the pic. He got a huge comb at about 2 weeks, and he has stubby- feathered legs, less than a brahma would have.

I don't care if he's to standard since I want to use him for OEs. Don't have any BCM girls so....

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yes- Pinkchick- I have 4 ( + one more on the way) fav girls. Poor things have most of their beards picked out, but they are SO SWEET! I think that's a wellie girl in there too.

7. apc

apc Songster

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    It could be a black maran, Ive saw them pop up in bcms. They usually have no copper, or just a tinge that shows. Are her marans booted? (feathers on their legs?) And it also kinda looks henish to me, but my hens are alot bigger than that, and definatly not as red yet.
    Edited to add, we were all typing at the same time lol. What color are the legs?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010

8. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Oh and to answer your question.....yes he does look like a BCM, just a very young one. The red on his chest won't matter in the OE pen. I will be curious to see him in another couple of months. [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Here's a shot of his chest. He's a HUGE baby. He came from some BCM OR Olive Egger eggs that HBuehler got from somebody- maybe here.

[​IMG]

Either way- he's part BCM! Hopefully he'll make some nice babies with the EEs.

10. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Faverolles are some of the sweetest birds I have ever raised or worked with besides my Marans.....but the absolute all time most friendly birds that I have or have ever had are my Lav. Ameraucana's.....hands down, and I thought no other birds would beat the Marans in friendliness. Seriously going to get back into Fav's......but they will be Blue Salmon LF, just searching for the right breeder.

I don't know about the Wellie girl.......maybe it is the photo or as you know my funky puter screen, but her legs look a little light from what I can see.......do you have another photo of her Happy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by