Does this look like a boy to you?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by coyotesmommy, Jun 13, 2011.

1. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Just a New Peep here, I got three chicks from the local flea market, in mid April, they were suppose to be about 3 weeks old, I ask for hens, the girl picked me out 3. Claude, Maude & Willie. But around mid May Claude and Maude started growing their waddles and combs, about 2 weeks ago someone started crowing!! Yikes. Claude and Maude fight all the time and Willie is so small here are some pics, I need ya’lls best opinions do these look like roosters? They are suppose to be Dominique’s as well but who knows because like I said I thought I was getting hens. Do you think they will take them back at the flea market?[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    So sorry...you have 2 roos I think....I don't know about the flea market but I would give it a try!

3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Well.... I think they're two hens. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

They look like Hens to me [​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think you have 2 roosters and a hen. Barring is sex linked- the roos will be lighter and the hens will be darker.

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yeah, I think you have two roosters and a hen. Sorry.

7. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hummm thanks, looks like I got a 50/50...... the flea market is this weekend, so I will look for the darkest chic they have..heheheehe [​IMG]

8. sonally

sonally Out Of The Brooder

I have been looking at Doms a lot because i have two 5 week olds.... the pictures I have seen of Dom hens.. look kinda Rooster-y to me... So you may need a Dom breeder to chime in with their ideas!

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:x2

Barring is linked to the X chromosome. If you have a female: XX, you have a lot of barring, which looks dark.
    If you have a male: XY, you only have one chromosome with the barring, resulting in a light look.

The good news is that those ARE Dominiques.

10. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    Quote:X2 there are 100% 2 roos in the pics not only can you tell by the liter baring but also the redness of the combs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by