1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does this look like a broody to you?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Last night I thought one of my Barred Rocks was broody because she slept in the nest box on 11 eggs. Before I went to bed I marked the eggs she was on. Then this morning she was out of the nest and acting normal.

Now I have this. Turkey, a Easter Egger, is sitting on the eggs that the Barred Rock was on and acting mean as a hornet! You'll have to excuse her bald spots. She's the bottom of the pecking order and was recently pecked bald by Mother Clucker who is the head of the pecking order after Lt Colonel Bok Bok.

[​IMG]

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    She looks like a turkey now! Oh my goodness.

3. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    That was so funny! She is SO GRUMPY!! I laughed out-loud [​IMG] Good idea for nest boxes btw! I have some of those bins in my basement... Now I know what I can use if I need more nests!!

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    [​IMG] How cute! I just love broodies [​IMG]

Edited to add: I thought at first you were asking about the red hen you focused on first...I was like, "Nope, not poofy enough!" lol! Then when you went on to the EE gal, "Yep!" [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    So y'all think she is broody? I've never had a broody before.

6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:She looks broody. If she pecks you, then you are good to go [​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yep, I'd say she's broody. Looks and sounds broody LOL

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    [​IMG] WHOOOOHOOOOO! I've been wanting some chicks soooooo bad!

She's sitting on a mix.

White eggs, brown eggs and blue eggs. So if they're fertilized which most probably are because my roo's a horndog I will have White Leghorn/Dominique crosses, RIR/Dominique crosses, Barred Rock/Dominique crosses and Easter Egger/Dominique crosses. [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh that's a Miss Broody Grumpy Pants if ever I've seen one (which actually was just this morning as I tossed my Miss BGP out of the nestbox so someone else could lay an egg)!

10. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Ok I think they're messing with me. Now she out of the box walking around and a RIR is sitting on the eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by