*Does this look like a good deal??*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tripp16, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I want some opinions from my BYC buddies! [​IMG] So Here they are. Im not worried about show quality. I just want some silkies!!

I ordered from a hatchery and not a single one hatched out of 13 eggs!! [​IMG] 2 pipped but died because I later found out they werent healthy..... [​IMG]

Needless to say this last experience was NOT the best.... [​IMG] So Im trying again!

Heres the link! Honest opinions appreciated! [​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-WHITE-SI...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a6cf91fd3#ht_2582wt_952 [​IMG]

2. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Anyone?? [​IMG]

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    looks good to me. Just remember its hit or miss with shipped eggs.

4. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Your best bet is to find someone close to you.. I have noticed that the eggs I get from CA and have them shipped here to PA dont do as well as if I get them from someone on the west coast. Just my personal experience. [​IMG]

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:X2 I take it you want to hatch not just receive chicks. And since you are not worried about SQ. I don't think you are going to find them much cheaper.
    You could check out the Chicken Hatching Eggs on here.

6. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    As far as the seller I would say they have done good business transactions . Their feed back is all 100% with a count of over 3000...
    So the only thing I would worry about is the trip thru the mail , best luck with the hatch...

7. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well I have looked and looked and looked for someone near to me with silkie eggs and money has them this time of year. I looked on the hatching eggs sales on here but they weren't what I was looking for.

I know I'm taking a risk with shipped eggs but really it's my only option. [​IMG]

I just thought it was a good deal. Oh and they are about 4 hours from me since I live on NC

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I am in Michigan, and I have had better luck with eggs that are close to me. When I order from Texas and California, I have more "quitters". When I order in extreme heat or cold weather I have problems no matter where I get them from.

I have also noticed that some of my first hatches went badly because I wasn't paying close enough to my incubator. The eggs were fertile, but stopped developing cuz I goofed and set the incubator in a room where the sun shined on it (didn't think the sun came in that window directly). Had a cold snap and the average house temp changed, didn't think about checking the temp in the bator to make sure it hadn't changed...humidity wasn't high enough at the end and they all stuck in their shells (I rescued that batch)...There's a bit of a learning curve unless you're a reliable broody hen I think.

Don't be too discouraged!! If you don't care about show quality, why not try some chicks from a respected hatchery in your area? What are you looking for?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

10. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have to say that I hate shippping eggs. The forst time I tryed to hatch shipped eggs, they were duck eggs. I got 6, none even formed! So I tryed hatching some more duck eggs from my own ducks. Out of 9 5 hat,hed. I was happy. Im trying one last time this year with shipped eggs, only chickens this time. I was really scared, but after I candled I saw that 9 out of 13 eggs are forming! Im so happy! . . . . . My point is shipped eggs, are either you hit and score, or loose badly. Lol. I saw that is a very good deal. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by