Does this look like a rooster? Better picture added

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hawtchick, Jun 30, 2008.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am new to this, and just wondering how old you can usually tell roos from pullets........
    This one is standing out from the rest of the flock, but maybe I am just looking to much??? Hope this pic is ok....
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

Here's the better pic......... about 4 to 4 1/2 weeks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    You didn't say how old, but I'm guessing a pullet. BTW welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  3. hawtchick

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    it's around 4 weeks. I guess I thought it was a roo b/c it's comb on the top and it's starting to get that red flappy stuff (don't know what it's called) hanging around it's lips.
    I have no clue.
    Thanks

4. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Those are wattles, dear, and if they're already flappy at 4 weeks, then I would change my guess to roo. It would help to have a picture with a better angle. [​IMG]

5. hawtchick

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I was pretty sure they were called wattles, but it was easier to call them something stupid then be completely wrong......
    Here's a new pic.
    Thanks so much for helping a newb.

6. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I'd say rooster!

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    looks like a rooster to me too. [​IMG]

8. hawtchick

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Is there anything different we need to do if it is in fact a roo? We hadn't planned on having one.... of course. We were just planning on having eggs..... not more chicks. I have so many questions, and don't know were to start. :eek:

9. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Yes, it's a rooster!

10. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Well, the best place to start is getting a book on chicken raising, if you don't already have one. If you don't want to buy, your local library may have some. You can use the search feature on this forum for specific questions. It's in the bar at the top of the page. If you can't find it there, you can always ask in a post.

If you don't want chicks, you could always rehome your rooster, or just don't allow your hens to set the eggs by gathering them regularly.

Most of us were newbies at one time, so don't be afraid to ask or sound dumb. There are no dumb questions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by