Does this look like Angel Wing? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vnctan

Songster
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
Bangor,CA 95914
I have a duckling that is about 6-7 weeks old and I think he/she may have the beginnings of angel wing. I would love to get the opinion of some of the knowledgeable people here on BYC. HELP PLEASE!

SANY1145.jpg

SANY1144.jpg

SANY1146.jpg

Yes, that is angel wing. The sooner you start taping it the better the chances of correcting. I will post a pic of how to tape it. Leave the tape on for 5 days and check it. If it needs it, repeat the process. I just taped one of mine and it only took one time to correct. It is caused by too high of protein in their diet. Check the protein content of their feed and buy the next % down. Give them green to eat too. Hope this helps.
22826_angel_wing.jpg

I tuck the tip of the wing under the wing (to the side of the body) then tape. Don't put the tape too tight. You can use really sticky tape if they are swimming alot. Medical tape is a good choice or vet wrap. Be gentle when removing.

Last edited:
Yes, that's angelwing, alright.

If the taping process doesn't work, don't sweat it. One of my male rouens got it last year -- it doesn't make an iota of difference, doesn't seem to bother him in any way.

I tried taping a few days -- it was impossible to keep it on there, since the bird immediately started to rip at it the second I put him down from taping it up. After a few days, I just gave up and said whatever happens, happens.

I guess there are far worse things that could happen to a bird than a twisted wing.

Awwwwww, poor duckie. Even if the duckie tears off the tape, the diet change will help correct the wing.

Not necessarily.

I give my babies greens daily from day 3 on and as they grow they also forage for leaves, etc. in addiition to getting greens, Romaine is their favorite. I have a hugh grocery bill for fresh romain and kale. Out of 3 hatches, 2 drakes this time had angel wing. I had 2 females with angel wing, their mothers. These two are the biggest Draklets, though and their daddy was very big but did not have Angel Wing. I think they are genetically predisposed to it. I made the decision not to breed my Angel Wing ducks any more or ones that have had it.

Hope the taping works for you.​

Quote:
Not necessarily.

I give my babies greens daily from day 3 on and as they grow they also forage for leaves, etc. in addiition to getting greens, Romaine is their favorite. I have a hugh grocery bill for fresh romain and kale. Out of 3 hatches, 2 drakes this time had angel wing. I had 2 females with angel wing, their mothers. These two are the biggest Draklets, though and their daddy was very big but did not have Angel Wing. I think they are genetically predisposed to it. I made the decision not to breed my Angel Wing ducks any more or ones that have had it.

Hope the taping works for you.

I think that is a good choice and a hard one for most people to make. I do believe it is genetic trigged by man made diet. I have been a breeder of animals most of my life. Not just birds. Growth problems are part of breeding the biggest, fastest growing animals. Protein has often been blammed along with feeding excessive energy (Calories). Now many feeds are talking about the glycemic index and glycemic load of the feeds we have to prevent these growth problems. Corn being insoluable fiber has been a cheap form of energy for a long time. It is about as high on the glycemic index as feeding white bread to your ducks. Oats being soluable fiber slows digestion by forming a gel and are low glycemic. Barley has both types of fiber and falls between the two. To many people free feed there birds way to many calories and there blood sugar is always up pushing growth. We are also feeding alot of ground up feed. Particle size and I don't mean crumble size digest faster and raises the blood sugar faster than whole grains that have not been ground up small. Another thing that is not mentioned is calicum/phosphorus ratio inbalances or low vitamin D, vitamin E and manganese,

I made the decision not to breed my Angel Wing ducks any more or ones that have had it.

thumbsup.gif

Protein has often been blammed along with feeding excessive energy (Calories). Now many feeds are talking about the glycemic index and glycemic load of the feeds we have to prevent these growth problems. Corn being insoluable fiber has been a cheap form of energy for a long time. It is about as high on the glycemic index as feeding white bread to your ducks.

Exactly.​

Last edited:
I wrapped my muscovy duck while it was still growing its wing feathers with vet wrap and then in four days it was back to normal. I also changed their food from the starter/grower to grower/finisher.

Back
Top Bottom