Does this look like bumblefoot to you?

Tippyman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
I already read an article on bumblefoot surgery on The Chicken Chick's website, so that got me kinda paranoid. When tending to the chooks today one of my RIR's squatted for me, so I picked her up and checked her foot. To my dismay I saw this:

3E4B8E3C-8B1F-4CEF-8AB5-1651ABD8C8CE.jpg

11BEEDF2-010D-43D6-B48F-D42573E05E67.jpg

Looks like she needs to go under the knife, anyone else think so? If so, any advice? Never done this before.

Last edited:
Definately bumblefoot...go to the top of the page of "Emergencies etc.......click on the "helpful references and links"...scroll down to Poultry Podiatry...click that title.....quite some way down is bumblefoot treatment and a link to surgery....gives you all the information you will need..

Good luck!

Well, did the surgery last night. Sprayed everything down in Vetericyn, put a non-stick guaze and wrapped it in Vetwrap.

This afternoon I went out and watched the chickens. She seems to be eating and acting normally aside from a slight limp and she'll hold her foot up like a flamingo sometimes.

I removed the wraps and re-sprayed and put on a new gauze. Is a little limp/flamingo foot normal? I know I'd be limping if had a chunk of my foot cut out.

Well, did the surgery last night. Sprayed everything down in Vetericyn, put a non-stick guaze and wrapped it in Vetwrap.

This afternoon I went out and watched the chickens. She seems to be eating and acting normally aside from a slight limp and she'll hold her foot up like a flamingo sometimes.

I removed the wraps and re-sprayed and put on a new gauze. Is a little limp/flamingo foot normal? I know I'd be limping if had a chunk of my foot cut out.

I personally I would have left the dressing/vetwrap on for 48 hours and then treated with betadine and antibiotic ointment...re-dressed the wound and changed every two days for a week and then assessed how the chicken was faring... if your conditions are wet at home I would change every day or keep the chicken in a secure and dry environment for the duration of the treatment..

Good luck to you and the bumblefoot patient!

Back
Top Bottom