Does this look like enough ventilation?

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
This is a 5x6 built coop that has ventilation at the top plus windows that open. I know the windows aren't going to account for venting - except to provide a cool breeze. Just wondering if I would have to add more ventilation to a coop like this. This pic is taken from the people access door of a quaker style coop.
Thanks!
Screenshot_20180313-150615.jpg

Looks a little on the weak side, if the ridge vent is all there is. Are the soffits also open to vent ?
We are talking winter ventilation when the windows would be closed.
A big factor is also the amount of chickens. Few chickens, = less moisture emitted.
You can add gable end vents If you think you need them.
upload_2018-3-13_14-39-53.jpeg

Looks a little on the weak side, if the ridge vent is all there is. Are the soffits also open to vent ?
We are talking winter ventilation when the windows would be closed.
A big factor is also the amount of chickens. Few chickens, = less moisture emitted.
You can add gable end vents If you think you need them.
View attachment 1294976
Thanks for the tip, I will double check to see if there is other ventilation.

I would say vent away as much as you can, it helps a lot in all seasons for the health of your flock. We have 2 gable vents and 4 screened windows that are partially open all winter long except when 10* and below but leaves the upper 2 vents open all year long so far my flocks been healthy for almost 5 years, started with 10 chicks now I have 30++.

I woul go with more. Add a couple gable vents suggested earlier. I leave the windows open on all but the worst days . Like today where we have gotten over a foot of snow. I will open them when I go out to shut the chicken door. Also note, that ridge vent will need to be cleared on days you get snow. Here is a picture today before we got all the snow. After clearning the driveway and walkways I used a roof rake to clear the ridge vent and the flat run roof.

Attachments

• 20180313_080129.jpg
    20180313_080129.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 14
I woul go with more. Add a couple gable vents suggested earlier. I leave the windows open on all but the worst days . Like today where we have gotten over a foot of snow. I will open them when I go out to shut the chicken door. Also note, that ridge vent will need to be cleared on days you get snow. Here is a picture today before we got all the snow. After clearning the driveway and walkways I used a roof rake to clear the ridge vent and the flat run roof.
You have a nice set up. Love The Coop plate. Thanks for the tip.

You are welcome. I got a lot of advice on BYC. Clearing the ridge vent was stressed. It requires I stand on a chair to get high enough to clear the snow. I just took a picture and it is getting covered again. Because we have the covered run in front of the windows, we can keep the windows open year round. The chickens don't care for the snow. But most of it stayed out today. I keep an eye on the humidity level with a gadget in the coop. There is a picture in my coop build. 20180313_161116.jpg

I have the same exact one for my chickens, I only recommend it from the months October to April or depending where you live and the climate. I had to replace their window with chicken wire when the hot days took over. They were overly panting and I didn't want any deaths to occur since it gets terribly hot in Texas. Otherwise in the cold months its perfect.

Back
Top Bottom