Does this look like frost bite or could it just be a dirty comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angels4, Dec 26, 2009.

1. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've only got the one BO who is living outside with her two SLW sisters, the other three BO are living inside at the moment (long story) I've applied Vasaline to Coco's comb and wattles to help prevent frostbite but when I went out today it looks like I may have missed a spot. Could this be frostbite or just a dirty comb?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I cant see anything that looks like frostbite on the comb. Frostbitten combs get very black

3. angels4

Oh good...I guess I'm just freaking out. The recent storm we had took me by COMPLETE suprise, and I thought I might have done something to injure my girl. It looks kinda dry and greyish/white could it just be dry skin?

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    hmm now that I see the larger picture I am not quite so certain. If it is frostbite it is quite mild. How cold did it get. Frost bite normally occurs in very very cold conditions. It got down to minus 23 here and I have one BC rooster that got nipped pretty good.

5. angels4

I'd saw it got down into the teens, but the windchill was another matter all together. I live very close to the ocean so it can get blowing quite badly here.

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    mine turn that color in real cold, then turn back read in the warm. i let it get real bad on my rooster and he did get frostbight, so just make sure it doesnt get to big.

7. angels4

Thanks for the information. I'll make sure I'm more on top of the wattle/comb massage detail. I kept fearing the worse, Oh no her combs gonna fall off...you know glass is half empty kind of thinking. I'm glad if it is frostbite it is just a minor case and it will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by