1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does this look like it's still viable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaGeniaLoca, Jun 29, 2011.

1. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This egg was developing at 5 days, but at 10 days, it looks really strange. It was shipped and I let it sit for 48 hours, in an egg carton with the pointy end down, before putting it in the incubator. My temp and humidity have been steady at 100 degrees and 50%, and it's been turned at least 3 times a day. I took these pictures on the 27th. Does it look like it's still viable or is it doomed?

This pic shows the air cell, but it's down one side of the egg
    [​IMG]

Light is going through the round end of the egg
    [​IMG]

Same as above, but from the other side
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    i just had an egg look like that i am not expert but from the pictures i have seen in other spots i think it is gone , mine was like that it was a dud. [​IMG] dont take my word on it get a few more opinins
    good luck!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It's hard to say. It probably isn't viable. You can leave it in the incubator for a few more days and see what happens. Not a good picture but this egg is similar and I saw movement in it.

[​IMG]

4. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Good news!! I saw movement in it!!!! I candled early this morning before coming to work and it's moving! I'm so excited!

Question: with the air cell being so big, should I increase the humidity? I don't want the air cell to take up so much space that the chick doesn't have room to grow.

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Congratulations!

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    As long as you can see vessels, the critter lives! If the chick were dead, the vessels would disappear. No life = no vessels. Vessels = life! If the air cell is too big, humidity will need to be increased. I have great hatch rates using a humidity level of about 50% from set to day 18. Then I increase it to about 65%. Good luck!

Also, at 10 days, is that the air cell or the yolk? If it's the air cell, it's waaaaay too big.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  7. LaGeniaLoca

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Quote:It's been that big since the beginning. If I increase humidity now, will that prevent it from getting bigger and/or leave the chick with enough space? How high would the humidity need to be to accomplish that?

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    At day 10, 50% humidity is good. Maybe it's just gonna be a smaller chick. I wouldn't change anything and re-candle about every 3-4 days. Candling that frequently is not necessary but I can't help myself, especially if I have a questionable egg.

9. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I wouldn't change the humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by