Does this look like lice or mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EquestrianGal, May 10, 2011.

1. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Same red who had the problem yesterday with the soft egg (she did pass that, thank you SO much for your help!!). She seems more herself today, but I noticed that in a few spots, her feathers have no plume on them--just the quill part is left. Mostly on her chest, one spot on her side, and one on her back towards her tail. In that spot (the one near her tail), there is a raised bump around the quill--I don't know if it is an infected follicle or what, but when she was grooming herself, she picked at it a few times, so I think it bothers her at some level.

I can't see any bugs on her, but I don't know what else could be causing her to pull her feathers out or cause them to break off like that.

She is still isolated from the flock until I know what is going on (currently in my bathroom, my husband will be THRILLED when he gets home from his business trip lol). I started her on Terramycin yesterday. Her stools are a little loose.

The last ten photos are the ones that show her feather issues (sorry they are not in great focus), and the last two show the nub around the feather shaft I was talking about. (The other photos are of the soft shell egg--I have to leave them up b/c I am also talking to our extension agent and that is the link I gave him.)

photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/meghann.colleen/Chicken?authkey=Gv1sRgCJCv0arYi-bo1wE&feat=directlink

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    The bump near the tail is the oil gland. They rub it to get oil they put on the feathers. The other pictures are of new feathers just growing in. Looks like the bird is molting. The tail feather could just be worn out and needs to be replaced....joe

3. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    oh, good! I was worried something was wrong. I didn't know they had an oil gland there. She and one other are my oldest chickens--and they are only 2 years old--so I am still learning so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by