Does this look like Marek's to you? Photos!

pmpkn42

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2015
About 8 days ago I lost 3 pullets to coccidiosis (all hatched April 1st...bought them from Mypetchicken.com, not vaccinated). I kept them in a different building and brooder away from my older girls (7 hens all over 1 year old) until they were 4 weeks old. Then I moved them into the coop but in a separate pen. They did fine as it's hot here in Texas. I treated them all with Corid after I figured out they had coccidiosis. They have been off the Corid for the last 3 days. Yesterday, one of the Cochins was laying on her side not able to get up. Her neck is floppy, and seems like she can't control it. I separated her and she is still eating fine (able to lift her head up and eat crumbles, but I have been tubing her water and electrolytes and probiotics. None of the other pullets have the same symptoms. She has no control of her legs and flops over to the side. I fear it's Mareks. I figure the others probably have it too since it's extremely contagious. I'm at a loss of what to do. Should I completely separate her in a different building in hopes of saving the others? Should I try and "treat" and see if this is a vitamin deficiency (hopefully)? I notice no tumors or other symptoms of Mareks. Plus I figured they were a little young to get it? They are still on medicated starter feed.

My other problem is a have brand new chicks (2.5 weeks old) that are also in a separate building/brooder...but it was the original one my 8 week old pullets were in too. I have no idea how they got Mareks if only from the hatchery. I am fearing the new chicks will have it too, and I will loose my new chicks and pullets...over 25 birds.

Should I try to go hunt down some Baytril, or is it a "lost cause"?

Here is what Penelope looks like...

I also forgot to add that they could have been exposed to Mareks from the wild birds being able to get into the coop. I'm adding wire cloth higher up to get rid of this issue entirely.

I don't know if I should keep the 2.5 week old chicks completely separate from the older chicks, or only for a certain time? ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated. I don't want to loose 30+ chicks.
fl.gif

I would sacrifice the sick cochin, and have her tested and a necropsy done by your state vet or poultry college for Mareks, to set your mind at ease if that is not the problem. You also can get some droppings checked in case they still are suffering from cocci. Dehydration during hot summer weather can look very much like other diseases as well.

I think she's a little young for Marek's and I would be inclined to dose with vitamins and only send for necropsy if she dies. I have Marek's in my flock and it exhibited first with lameness.... which I believe is the commonest symptom of paralysis. I have had wry neck in the final stages with only one bird but I had several develop lameness within a few days of each other and that was what tipped me off to the diagnosis. I appreciate that there are several forms/strains of Marek's and they will present differently but my gut feeling is that this isn't it
I think, if they have been struggling with coccidiosis and then you have treated them with Corid, which I understand is a Thiamine inhibiter, then it may be a Vit B deficiency causing the wry neck. It would be a terrible shame to cull at this stage without trying something as simple as a Vit supplement first in my opinion.

Good luck with her and your other chicks.

I would agree with Rebrascora, 1st because she helped me so much with our diagnosis, but also because we have a very severe, virulent strain of Mareks and this does not seem to me like it is at this point.

I'm wondering if you still have coccida? Are you using liquid or powder? I used liquid 1st and it didn't work so I tried the powder and it did. I might make a little stronger dose and give it just to this chick to see if it helps. Totally agree about vitamins also. It does help even when you have a chick dying from Mareks I've noticed.

Last edited:
I was treating with liquid Corid-the max dose...the 2 tablespoons per 1 gallon and all the other pullets were saved. I'm taking a week break in between then am going to do another round of treatment as suggested on the chicken chick website.

I just added Rooster Booster liquid cell and vitamin B12 to this Cochin's water, which I have to tube feed her. I have no improvement from yesterday. She is eating less today. I have separated her from the others.

I will keep trying for a few more days and pray she gets better.
sad.png

I was treating with liquid Corid-the max dose...the 2 tablespoons per 1 gallon and all the other pullets were saved.  I'm taking a week break in between then am going to do another round of treatment as suggested on the chicken chick website.

I just added Rooster Booster liquid cell and vitamin B12 to this Cochin's water, which I have to tube feed her.  I have no improvement from yesterday.  She is eating less today.  I have separated her from the others.

I will keep trying for a few more days and pray she gets better.  :(

Corid liquid dosage is only 2 teaspoonsful of the liquid, and 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, the maximum dose.

Back
Top Bottom