Does this look like pigeon pox on my dove's beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lobzi, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

This growth is not getting any better and its been well over a month since it first appeared. So far he has been able to eat but now Im getting worried that it might grow into his beak and prevent him from getting his food.
    Ive assumed it was pigeon pox and have been just waiting for it to get well on its own based on what Ive read. I was given the dove by friends whose pair hatched it. They said the bump was there ever since they noticed his beak. I just dont know what to do. Is there any advice out there for this young (about 2 month old) dove who I named Cyrano....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Lobzi

Thank you so much. I know nothing about pigeon pox or canker.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pox can definitely affect the eyes causing bacterial and viral infections. Eyes can be flushed with saline, and vetericyn eye gel, Terramycin eye ointment, or plain Neosporin ointment can be applied twice a day. I thijnk I would seek the advice of a vet, though, since I don't know that much about pigeons, and I would hate to see you lose it.

5. Lobzi

It is a dove not a pigeon but I read they get pigeon pox too. Im just wondering if I treat it how...
    Im going to keep him on antibiotics no matter what but if I understand correctly pigeon pox is a virus but canker is caused by a protozoan.

Pox is not really treatable but canker needs antibiotics. Am I correct in my assessment of the info Ive gained from my research?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes pox is a virus, but there can be secondary bacterial infections. Canker is treated with metronidazole (fish zole, flagyl) given daily for 5 days.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take it to a vet?

-Kathy

8. Lobzi

The advancement to the eye stopped and now his eye is fine. Even the pox on his beak is smaller and all scabbed over. Will the pox fall off or should i remove it? He seems to be feeling better too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by