Does this look like the "grey eye" of Merek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lillyandlarry, Feb 20, 2017.

1. lillyandlarry

lillyandlarry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    I have a rooster that is almost a year old and I have recently noticed that his eyes seem a little lighter colored compared to everyone else's. There is one other hen that has lighter colored eyes but unfortunately she won't let me get close enough to take a picture. The rooster has been going through a rough couple of months (frost bitten feet, lost about half of every toe, still gets around fine though) but I wasn't sure if that would affect his eye color.[​IMG][/IMG] other eye [​IMG] I have never dealt with Merek's before and I'm really hoping I won't have to.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    I have dealt with Mareks a good amount and has been in my flock for about a year now. I feel like if your rooster had mareks, I feel like you would see more symptoms other than eye color changing if its early on. It honestly might be his eye color unless it never used to be a light color. Here is a picture of my roosters eye when he had Mareks. Mind you when I noticed his eye color changing he already could not walk and was not eating for a few days.

Mareks affected eye.

[​IMG]
    Other eye
    [​IMG]

3. lillyandlarry

lillyandlarry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    Thank you for replying. He's showing no other symptoms and is still the biggest pig of the flock (still enjoys being a bully too[​IMG]). I never noticed it before, but I guess that could just be me not paying close attention. Do you think the trauma of losing his toes could cause his eyes to change colors?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It looks like ocular Marek's to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by