1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does this look ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loretta212, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    [​IMG]
    I thought the layer under the shell was supposed to be clear this one is white?

2. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    It looks fine, Loretta, just a little on the dry side. How high is your humidity? How long has that pip been there?

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yep, looks normal to me. But DO check the humidity. Don't get nervous over it, just if it's low, the chicks may have trouble getting out.

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    The membrane is always white on my eggs when pipped... [​IMG]

No humidity issues here... [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Looks good to me...

6. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    nope its white but definetly quickly open the bator and pour like a gallon (well not a gallon but a lot) of warm water in to fill your trays (looks like a hovabator to me, with wire floor and what looks like plastic liner) and it should come out fine. Do not overlook this as i almost lost a chick from low humidity. She's alive and well but would have died if i didnt bump up humidity. Do your eggs a favor and put some warm water in (cold water works but it gets the temp down and the chicks might get uncomfortable

7. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:i just made sure all the spots water are supposed to go into are full added some nice warm water as fast as i could!

8. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    goodie goodie!!! do you think its the double yolker (saw it on other thread [​IMG])

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  9. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:i wish i would have thought about lableing them at the time! i had 2 that looked so good and at lockdown i took everyone out of the turner and have no idea what eggs they were! i have 2 so hopfully one makes it!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by