Does this mean anything???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LocoPollo, Nov 26, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    My speckled sussex are due to lay anytime now, and some are starting to act a bit like they are close. Tonight, about 5:30 when all but one other chicken was in the roost, one of the hens was outside the yard(not uncommon) but a bit far away, and was clucking away. I don't know what made her so noisy, but I was afraid she was thinking of laying an egg way out there. I went and looked and couldnt see anything, but I sure hope she doesnt have ideas about laying out away from everyone. What do yall think?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gosh you know chickens are so predictable.... [​IMG] She could have been signaling a predator nearby or she could be practicing her "announcement song" and start laying in a few days. I had one of my girls, what already lays, start yelling her fool head off one day so I went out to get the egg, and there was no egg! I though "hm" scratching my head, started for the house, and there was a racoon in the yard. Our pit bull got after him pretty quick, but her yelling sounded just like the LOOKWHATIDID yell.

3. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I hope that is what it was! It very well could have been! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by